Wednesday, April 2, 2014

IWSG: Procrastination

Welcome to my first monthly post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. The first Wednesday of each month writers all over the world band together to support each other and commiserate over those things that make us all insecure at one time or another.

This month I will be discussing one of my biggest problems as a writer: procrastination. I've spoken with enough other writers to know that I am not alone. I have come to believe that procrastination is a leading cause of stillborn novels, short-stories, novellas, blog posts, etc. Just about any type of writing can be stopped before it starts simply because the writer puts it off until "tomorrow". Unfortunately, if you're like me, "tomorrow" never comes. That's the main reason I have one book in first draft form, two started but never finished, and another that is simply an idea in my head. I won't even mention the short story and flash fiction ideas that keep bouncing around my skull.

I can't count the number of times I have told myself I have to write - anything, just get some words down - but I have talked myself out of it because "I'm too busy, I'll get to it later." Guess what? It's later. Sit down and write! That's why I joined IWSG. Accountability and support are great ways to kill procrastination. Or at least to injure it enough to make it back off once in a while. There are plenty of ways to force yourself to write if that's what it takes. NaNoWriMo has been the biggest blessing for me. Without it, I wouldn't even have the first draft and unfinished novels. The Blogging From A to Z Challenge is another great motivator. What helps you to fight back against procrastination and, just maybe, score the death blow? Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment