Tuesday, April 22, 2014

S - Set Fire to the Dogg

It's time for S and we're still plugging along, coming up with music I love, hate, and love to hate (or hate to love). Today we've got a wide range of styles to showcase. As you've seen if you've been following my entries for the Challenge, I have an eclectic taste in music. Therefore, I couldn't come up with just one for love today. So we've got old school and new school.

Love (Old School)
Stryper - The original Christian metal band. I know, there were others before them, but none that grabbed mainstream attention and Christian fans to the level that Stryper did. They were the first Christian artist to have the most requested song on MTV twice in a row. More importantly, they were the first concert I went to in high school. I got to see them on the To Hell With the Devil tour from the third row. I've been to other concerts since, but none as good as Stryper. That's why they deserve this spot.

Love (New School)
Skillet - One of the few hard rock Christian bands left that can pull it off. Like yesterday's band, Red, Skillet is able to rock hard with their own sound that is unmistakable. Like Stryper, they have achieved mainstream success as well. They can overpower you with songs like Monster, then turn around and give you a much gentler, but still intense sound.

Hate
Snoop Dogg - Snoop Doggy Dogg, Snoop Dogg, Snoop Lion, Snoop Three-toed Sloth, or whatever his name is this week is not my cup of tea, or coffee, or hot chocolate, or whatever drink is this week's preferred flavor. Maybe he'd be better if he was clean and sober once in a while, but that doesn't seem to be a priority for Snoop Menagerie. I've read before that he is a musical genius. If so, I'll stay ignorant.

Hate to Love
Set Fire to the Rain (Adele) - I absolutely love this song. I like several Adele songs as a matter of fact. Unfortunately, whoever decides these things has said that liking Adele is not manly. Therefore, I have to give up man points once again. That's OK, though. It's worth the cost of a few man points to listen to Adele. In fact, she's earned a permanent spot on my writing playlist.

What do you think? Old school hair metal or new school hard rock? Or maybe a British pop/r&b powerhouse. Or are you one of those who actually understand the appeal of Snoop Veterinarian?

No comments:

Post a Comment